On a totally different and wonderful note, Ellis, my wonderful fiance, came to visit me the first weekend in October. He arrived on Friday afternoon. I left my math class to give him the huge and kiss he deserved for flying all the way to Switzerland to see me. The kids were a little confused when I walked out, but it was worth it.
Ellis was able to join me for lunch at the school cafeteria. The girls in my class thought he was so cute! They even made a little play about us getting engaged. It wasn't exactly accurate, but it was very sweet.
After spending the afternoon at school, Ellis and I headed to dinner at Bella Vista, the osteria (restaurant) up the hill. True to its name, Bella Vista has an amazing view of Lago di Lugano and the surrounding mountains. We enjoyed delicious pizza...until some high schoolers showed up. They are just loud! We were basically done with our dinner and headed back to my apartment.
Oh yes, before I forget, I was the sickest I have been in years when Ellis was here. I couldn't stop coughing, I had a fever and the chills, and I was overall miserable to be around. Knowing that, you'll understand why I spent the entire next morning in bed. Ellis took such good care of me. He made me tea, made me laugh, and just kept me company. He also managed to find the pharmacy in Montagnola so I could get some medicine.
When I finally felt up to it, we made our way to the train station to go to Zurich. The train ride was very nice and we made it to Zurich by 5pm. When we arrived at our hotel, I had to take more medicine and another nap....so much for sightseeing on Saturday. When I woke up we went to dinner in the old part of the city. It was great to have a nice dinner out with my man.
The following day we toured around Zurich for a while. We made it to the Grossmunster, Fraumunster, and Banhofstrassen. We also walked around the lake. After all that walking I was pretty beat, so we headed back down to Lugano.
Here are a few pictures from Zurich and the train ride back down to Lugano.
On Monday I had planned to take Ellis to Locarno and Ascona, however we ended up going to the local doctor. It turns out my cold had turned into a chest and ear infection. We did eat some great paninis from Sarali's though.
Our last day together was Tuesday. I called in sick knowing I couldn't make it through the day at school. We slept in and then went into Lugano for lunch. We also walked around the lake. It was a beautiful day and it was great to spend it together. That evening I took Ellis to a quintessential Ticinese grotto. Basically a grotto is a home style restaurant, but instead of Old Country Buffet, it has fabulous Italian food.
On Wednesday morning, bright and early, Ellis left to go back home. His visit was short and very, very sweet. Being sick through a kink into my plans, but we did get to spend a lot of time just hanging out (and Ellis never had jet lag because of all the naps we took). After his visit I am even more excited to marry him because I know I have someone in my life who can make a bleak situation wonderful just by being there.
P.S. I can't seem to get the format right for this blog...any suggestions??
2 comments:
The mountains look beautiful! It was nice that Ellis could take care of you :) Maybe his next trip to visit will be more exciting.
Miss you Shannon!!
Post a Comment